Saturday, May 28, 2016

Saturday Step by Step for The Traveller

Hi everyone and welcome. Welcome to another instalment of the Saturday Step by Step here at Frilly and Funkie. In keeping with the current travel themed challenge 'Oh The Places You'll Go!' I'm going to show you how I created my own DT project.

I started with a deep edged 8 inch canvas, prepped with a roughly smeared on coat of Texture Paste, and brayered Pumice Stone Distress Paint randomly over it.


The process was repeated using Picket Fence Distress Paint.


I stamped the Half Tone background stamp in Jet Black Archival ink across the width of the canvas.


The same ink was used to stamp the numbers from the Sideshow stamp set randomly over the existing stamping. It's good to do this imperfectly!


To make the focal point of the canvas I began by embossing one of the images from the Sideshow stamp set onto a long parcel tag from the Idea-Ology Ephemera packs. Once the white embossing powder had been heat set I blended Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink over the whole tag before buffing it slightly to reveal the white image again.


I used other bits of matching Ephemera and cardstock cut offs to create a 'border' around the tag. The Traveler tag on the bottom has been shaped and adhered with black Adhesive Foam and the air-plane has been covered in Glossy Accents. I blended the edges of each piece with more Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink.


Picket Fence Distress Paint was spread over some pieces of kraft card and dried.


A range of cogs and gears were cut from these using the Gearhead Thinlits die set.


The kraft base was exposed when I sanded back these shapes lightly in places and was further emphasised with more Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink.


To finish I added the 'tag stack' to the canvas and edged it with dilute Black Soot Distress Crayon. A phrase was also added from the Small Talk sticker collection. The cogs and gears were arranged across the centre of the canvas, with mini and long fasteners used on some and coordinating gears layered over others. And here's a reminder of the finished canvas...


I hope you've enjoyed seeing how this canvas came together for our latest Frilly and Funkie challenge 'Oh The Places You'll Go!' If you haven't joined in with the fun yet there's still a little time. And who knows, you may be our next Guest Designer, randomly drawn voucher winner or Top 3 badge winner!

Have a great weekend and take care of yourselves.

Jenny xxx


26 comments:

  1. Brilliantly put together Jenny and love the collaged ephemera xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful collages canvas Jenny...thanks for the process, always lovely to see. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! So much inspiration in the step by step!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful canvas background Jenny! And how fun that you made the sideshow person the focal with that sentiment. I would never be brave enough to be on top of a wheel like that full figured person is so your sentiment made me giggle. All the ephemera is put together wonderfully too! Super fun creation. j.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful canvas background Jenny! And how fun that you made the sideshow person the focal with that sentiment. I would never be brave enough to be on top of a wheel like that full figured person is so your sentiment made me giggle. All the ephemera is put together wonderfully too! Super fun creation. j.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous canvas. You are such a master at making a focal point really pop and this collage is no exception. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  7. a wonderful project jenny and great step by step x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a wonderful assemblage! I love the color,palette, the amazing texture and all those fabby layers! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite simply, a stunning piece of work and a great step by step! You and collage are just the perfect match! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this is so cool. I don't usually try to recreate someone's project, but I think this will be one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dodie! I do hope you try it and please let me see when you do xx

      Delete
  11. Wow Jenny, this is fabulous! I love your 'tag stack' and all the amazing stamping in the background! Great step by step. hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your canvas is absolutely gorgeous, Jenny! I love getting a peek into your process. I always come away with so many new techniques to try!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete